Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cruelty against animals

I was quite aghast when I read this story in the papers this morning.

The Seremban Municipal Council enforcement officers broke into a person's house and enforced a court order to exterminate the owner's dogs. There were 25 dogs. Now there are only 12 left. 13 were shot dead with guns! Not with tranquilisers or through some other more humane means, but with guns!

On technical and legal grounds, the councillors have the right to issue the owner an ultimatum to either give up his dogs or relocate the dogs elsewhere as there are simply too many dogs in a small house compound in a residential area. However to take such a drastic and cruel action so as to forcibly and painfully kill those dogs, is this the mark of a civilised society?

There have been many debates about dogs in Malaysia over the years. There have been moves by local authorities to ban dogs, as conservative muslims deem dogs to be uncleaned! Haven't the local authorities heard of dog shampoos?

What about cats or even other house pets? I ask. Why should pet ownership or animal rights be tied to religion? It's preposterous to even link these issues together! In history, I have heard of many instances of animal worships, but not animal ostracism! Perhaps I should google or go on wikipedia to explore this issue further.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest you send a strongly worded letter to the relevant authorities outlining the benefits of dog shampoo and locations of local stores in which it may be purchased…

timewarps said...

I will prolly have to type the letter in Malay. That would be a problem since I don't even know how to spell dog in Malay.

Don't normal pet shops sell dog shampoos? I am sure even Carrefour does!